2017 BLUE TONGUE SKINKS – YEAR OF THE ROOSTER
In 2017 we had four litters of blue tongue skinks born here at ME. These babies have been eating well and are ready for their new homes.
About the babies:
– There is no easy way to tell what gender a blue tongue baby is, so all babies are sold as unsexed. If you absolutely must know the sex it may be possible to test at the vets using a new method, but it will likely cost an extra $100 or so to check. Usually I recommend just picking a gender randomly, or using a gender neutral name.
– Blue tongue skinks should never be together unsupervised, especially with new owners. To prevent people from trying to house multiple skinks together I generally will not sell multiple animals to people I do not already know well.
– They are currently eating every other day, but can be fed daily in their new homes – they will grow like weeds. Their main diet right now is wet cat or dog food with some fruits and veggies mixed in, and a calcium + D3 supplement on most meals so they develop strong bones.
– It is important for babies that water be available at all times. This is particularly true for the Irian Jayas, who dehydrate more easily than Northerns. A shallow water dish that is big enough for them to lay in is ideal.
– The babies are currently living on aspen shavings mixed with spaghnum moss. Northerns usually do well on any substrate, but I recommend a moderately humid substrate like moss or bark for Irian Jayas.
– We try to handle the babies regularly to help them learn to trust people and get over their Please-Don’t-Eat-Me-Freakouts. Small skinks tend to be scared at first, but calm down with gentle handling. I recommend letting them explore safe places and offering yummy treats to win them over and help them look forward to coming out.
Litter 2017-1: Northerns – Parents: Evita x Wasp – Born May 03, 2017
Northerns are hardy and outgoing, making them excellent pets for most families. These babies are going to be big and dark; you can see examples from the same parents in the 2016 Blue Tongue Skinks section below. These babies are priced at $400 each plus shipping.
Litter 2017-2: Northerns – Parents: Flambé x Alrick – Born May 24, 2017
Like the first litter, these northern babies should make hardy, outgoing pets. This is the first ever litter for these parents and they are completely unrelated to any other blue tongues I’ve produced. These babies will likely be light and bright like mom and dad. They are priced at $450 each plus shipping.
Litter 2017-3: Irian Jayas – Parents: Tsukasa x Musashi – Born May 27, 2017
Irian Jayas are not as commonly bred in captivity in Canada, so having some this year is a treat. They have personalities similar to Northerns, but perhaps a bit more laid back. These babies should get more colourful with every shed. They are priced at $400 each plus shipping.
Litter 2017-4: Irian Jayas – Parents: Toriyama x Musashi – Born May 31, 2017
These colourful parents have made some great babies that are already beginning to colour up. This litter is closely related to the above litter, so I recommend getting other unrelated animals if you are thinking of breeding.