Another litter of babies to announce! On June 23 classic northern Evita had 12 adorable babies, fathered by caramel northern Jenga. This is a first time pairing for these two, so it should be interesting to see what dark Evita and pale Jenga have managed to produce.
These babies are already a week and a half old, so they’ll be getting their ID photos and will be put up for sale on the website soon. This is probably my last litter for the year, as Fluke doesn’t seem to pregnant. Still, I’m pretty happy with all my 2020 babies 🙂
I am happy to announce that on May 28 my long-awaited Alice x Drooly litter was born! Mama Alice had 16 healthy babies, one runt (RIP unfortunately), and one slug. This litter is very exciting for me, as they are unrelated to any of my other skinks, and both parents are very pale/white coloured, unlike many of my darker type skinks.
Today the 16 babies are 2 weeks old and doing great, so they’ve been named and separated into individual bins, and they’ll be ready to go to new homes soon. As they shed I will be taking individual photos to post. These babies will be $500 each, plus shipping.
My other two females are showing some good signs of pregnancy (never a guarantee), but are still likely a few weeks from being born. If they do have babies those will be $400 plus shipping. I also have connections with several other breeders across Canada, so if you’re close to one of them I may suggest you contact them to hopefully avoid a shipping fee.
I’m going to be posting some older skinks as available shortly, but also wanted to let everyone know that I am hoping for 1-3 litters of northerns to pop in the upcoming months. It’s never a sure thing, but there are good signs so far.
The first expected litter would be Alice and Drooly. She’s at 111 days post-breeding today, looks like a balloon, and is doing the “preggo-breathing” that mean hopefully there will be babies soon. Fingers are crossed.
This litter has been one I’ve wanted for several years as both Alice and Drooly are very pale northerns, which I don’t have much of in my bloodlines. Any babies in this litter will be $500 + shipping. I will post if/when any pop.
There are two other litters possible as well – Fluke bred with Wasp and Evita bred with Jenga, both on March 4. That means they’re at 69 days today, so still another month or so before babies are likely. If either of them have babies the babies will be $400+shipping. I’ll post about them more as we get closer to possible due dates.
Hey friends. Long time no see. My website appears to have suffered from a “pharma hack” where it’s used to advertise medications. I’m trying to repair or replace it. My apologies for the inconvenience.
Unfortunately in addition to the website problems, I’ve also lost a couple very loved animals here, and Pooch the boa has been fighting some type of lung infection that’s been fending off all medications so far. Add to that the worldwide Covid issues, and I can say it’s just been a bit of a gong show lately.
There are still animals here available for sale/rehoming, and 3 possible litters of northerns for 2020. Fingers are crossed. Alice could potentially pop anytime now, while Fluke and Evita would still be a couple months out if their pairings took. I will post here if anything happens.
Overall I’m still not back to normal, but trying to keep moving forward.
Feel free to email me at MelanieJPratt@gmail.com and I will try to respond quickly.
In an effort to reduce my numbers and be more able to provide the kind of enclosures and care I want for my animals, I’m downsizing my collection. Most of what’s going is higher-humidity species, which don’t seem to be doing well in my home despite my misting system. There are also some stunning 2019 babies looking for new homes.
To see everything that is available please see: Reptiles To Go
If you are interested in any of the animals please email MelanieJPratt@gmail.com
My hope is that this reduction will mean I can make more time for really spoiling the remaining animals and enjoy the hobby again.
(I will also note that while I was offline my website appears to have become infected with something that advertises medicine when I share links. I’m trying to fix this, but please ignore any weirdness you happen to see in the meantime.)
Mel’s Exotics is closing indefinitely. My apologies for the inconvenience.
The Available Page has been updated with the 2018 babies.
EMAILS ONLY PLEASE.
If you are local to Winnipeg or will be at the MRBE and want to arrange a meetup/sale, please include that in your email. I’ll try to get to those emails first.
If you’ll need shipping, you may not receive a reply until next week, sorry. I have to focus on surviving the MRBE first.
If you were interested in an older skink, shoot me an email or wait until I get updated photos of those. I have 2017 Irian Jayas and a Northern, and 2016 Northerns.
One 2018 IJ did not get posted – he’s climbed the walls too much and needs medical care. Eventually he’ll be available to a pet-only home.
As I posted earlier, I’m basically on my last leg energy wise here. If you need things like holds, payment plans, care tips, setup critiques, etc., go ahead and email me, but please be patient while I work on replies.
Thank you everyone.
We’re far overdue for an update, I know. So here goes:
1) I will be taking photos of the available babies tonight. I will post the pictures on the available page tonight. There’s probably about 20 babies that will be available tonight (northern and IJs). Babies are $400 + shipping. I may also post the juvenile skinks if I have time. Juveniles are $500 + shipping. Once they’re up feel free to email me at email@example.com. Local/MRBE sales will be answered first since that’s this weekend, then I’ll get to shipping inquiries. Please, emails only.
2) I will be at the Manitoba Reptile Breeders Expo (MRBE) this coming weekend, but I will not have my own table. If you want to chat you can find me working at the Manitoba Herpetocultural Society (MHS) table. I will not have any blue tongues with me unless the sale is arranged beforehand.
3) I will be downsizing some of my collection and likely closing Mel’s Exotics shortly. I’ll still be around the BTS/reptile community, but running a business and dealing with sales is not my thing. If I continue to breed I will likely be looking to work with a resaler/broker, so I won’t be selling directly anymore. I’m just not doing great and I can’t keep up anymore.
I want to say that I think I have the best customers in the world. Everyone has always been wonderful to me, and I appreciate you all more than I can possibly say. Thank you.